Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Day 13 (Day 12 really)

Long ride today through wind rain and sunshine - shared out in that order. It was a good rest at Dunoon and Rick and Linda look after me really well and were very helpful. (see their web site www.bayhousehotel.co.uk) It was a fantastic ride through the Forest of Argyll along the side of Loch Eck. The wind was very gusty in the morning and I even thought I saw a water spout over the Loch - not like you see filmed in America with cows and caravans disappearing up it. The sun came out briefly in between showers. And the hills looked wonderful. You do not have much choice of roads here, the main roads are the only roads but they were not too busy and I enjoyed the ride to Inveraray the home of the Campbells - there were many coach parties rushing out of their coaches to have their photo snapped in front of the loch. There is nothing like cycling a thousand kilometres to make you feel smug. There was a lone piper I could hear. I tracked him down to the coach car park - busking. I had cycled some 60 odd km but Oban was still 70 away. I thought that I might just do it if the hills were not too steep, the wind not too strong and I didn't hang around. The hill out of Inveraray was long but not too steep and slowly the kilometres slipped by. The ride was really beautiful but the sun seemed to have gone for the day.
I reached Oban around 6.30. The Hostal was big and busy and I wished I had my comfy room back at the Bay House Hotel. But it is only £11 and for one night.
Mull tomorrow.
Graham

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home