Sunday, September 18, 2005

Day 16

A nice easy ride today - no rain, the sky was cloudy with brief glimpses of the sun and the strong wind was blowing on my back. I chatted to the warden about what it was like 42 years back and to Wraight, his daughter and her friend, who he is taking to climb the Cuillins. His quest is to climb all the Monros - all the mountains in the UK over 3,000 feet. The ride is Great - I left the wonderfully remote Valley of Glenbrittel vowing to return before another 42 years elapse. Over the moors, around lochs, up and down hills and all the roads empty - except for a short rush of church goers returning home for their Sunday lunches. The Hostel Warden told me that there are a couple of shops open on Skye on Sundays now and that the garage at Uig is open until 4.00 and sells food.
I pass Uig Hostel some 2km before Uig and have to cycle down a steep hill to the town -which is a collection of spread out, wind swept houses and a pier. The garage is indeed open and I stock up with food, cram it all into my panniers and slowly cycle back up to the hostel.
I made a bit of a mess planning the ferries for tomorrow - I just assumed that there would be a ferry from Uig to Tarbert on the Isle of Harris sometime on Monday morning but there is not one until 2pm. It is nearly a two hour journey, so I will not get to Port Nis tomorrow. Instead I plan to stop at a remote hostel a few miles north of Tarbert - Rhenigidale, so far north it's usually only used by fur trappers and visiting Eskimos. Then I will cycle the remaining 90km to Port Nis on Tuesday. No idea where to stay on the night I get to Port Nis; we'll see.
70km today. 1,336km so far - 835 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home