Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Day 18

Just a short write up tonight as I have been busy this evening - planning and booking my return trip. I got to Port Nis today, after a hairy start getting over the mountains from Rhenigidale - the wind was so strong it was impossible to stay on the bike - so I walked - even that was hard. But once back on the main road the wind was less gusty, mostly behind me and blew me all the way to Port Nis. I met Jack and Dave on the way, who were exploring Harris and I cycled with them for a while which was fun. But although they were 10 years older than me I could not keep up with them and said goodbye. But they waited at their turn off to say farewell again. The North of Lewis is a strange place and you would not guess it was part of the British Isles. I had to travel quite a way back South before finding somewhere to stay but I have found a very nice - empty hostel -cosy, clean and warm for £10. I plan to cycle to Stornoway tomorrow morning - get the 1.45 ferry to Ullapool, cycle to Inverness the day after and come home by train on Friday.
The forecast is not good for the next few days and I do not fancy exploring the rest of the Outer Hebrides against a gale force wind and rain.
Great Trip
112km today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home