Monday, September 19, 2005

Day 17

I met a lot of interesting friendly people at Uig Hostel.
In the morning there was a gale blowing and the hostel warden had news that the 2.00 ferry would not leave until 5.00. Too late for me, so I decide to wait until Tuesday. There are others who are also 'not' in the same boat as me, so we all sit around talking about the German elections with the Germans, the Canadian countryside with the Canadians, Japanese fruit with guy from Japan, and I tell them all what black pudding is and about deep fried Mars Bars. Then the warden told us that the 2.00 ferry was now sailing on time. So I decided to catch it. There were some seals hanging around the pier, as though they had just come to watch the strange creatures on two legs. The journey took an hour and forty minutes and was not at all rough. I said farewell to Kim and Robert and the Japanese guy whose name I have forgotten and got on my bike to head off to Lewis. I climbed a long gradual hill which rose 200m this went down to sea level and then there was the turn off to Rhenigidale and another, steeper, climb. Soon I was making the winding descent down beside a sea loch to a little cove where the hostel and a couple of other houses were. There are a couple of Swiss people staying there: Johanna and Andres. The place has two dormitories, a kitchen and lounge with a coal fire and silence that you could put a match to.
27km todayTomorrow Port Nis (Nis is Gaelic for 'ness' most road signs on Lewis are in Gaelic)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home