Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Day 19

The wind had died a little over night but was replaced with constant rain. I set off at 7.45 to cycle back over the spectacular moor that is North Lewis. I had a good night's sleep but still felt tired riding - but it was only to be a short day's cycling. With such an unchanging landscape I kept looking for something to break the endless bog. I got excited reaching the digger which had sunk in the peat. The day before when I was photographing it, a woman stopped her car and said, through her window, 'It's the peat - it sucks everything down.' (do your own Highland accent). But it had been pulled out and was looking rather sorry for itself by the side of the road. I reached Stornoway with over two hours to spare. The pouring rain stopped me exploring the town. The long ferry crossing was highlighted by the site of some dolphins. Way off in front of the ferry I could see them leaping high out of the water and when we reached them we could see them swimming past.
I ate fish and chips in the hostel tonight and bought a bottle of wine. Tried to give some away, as I should not drink a whole bottle. But the woman I offered it to, looked scared stiff at the suggestion. She had probably never heard of the cyclist's NN syndrome. It goes against my nature to throw wine away, so I will see how well it travels in a water bottle to Inverness.

36km

bye for now.

Graham

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home